Monday, April 12, 2010

Dipping My Toe into Real Life ...

Well, it's been an interesting month, and that's about all I can say. I've become acquainted with muscles and bones I didn't know existed. I've taken pills for pain in said muscles and bones. I've been reminded of my mortality, and reminded that it's all in God's hands.

I'm now almost completely better. I can feel myself returning to the land of the living. Twice last week, I had to park about two blocks from my destination, and walked the remaining distance, and didn't suffer for it. I'm not forgetting as much, and I seem to be able to put sentences together better when I talk. Believe me, I'm so, so grateful.

I've been eating two nice big salads a day ever since I posted my plan, and my bread intake has gone down a lot. I've had fast food just once since then, with a few other minor diversions. I did eat some Easter candy, but not as much as I have eaten in the past. My Coke consumption has dropped, and while I know I still have a very long ways to go, I'm feeling good about the progress I have made.

Tomorrow I dip my toe even further into real life and attempt gentle aerobics. I say "attempt" because I realize it might not go well and I'm not going to push myself. But I think I can do it. In another week or so, I might even be back to full speed. The human body is amazing in its ability to heal. I have no doubt that it will be some months before I'm totally pain-free, but I'm nearly functional again, and that's fantastic.

I'll let you know how it goes with the aerobics tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying Kraft's fat-free honey dijon dressing. I think that's my favorite out of the dressings I picked up last week.

1 comment:

Anna said...

How did your aerobics class go yesterday? I enjoy aerobics (when I actually do it), but when I'd do the step box it would hurt my one knee. I'd usually just skip the step box. I like the aerobics on the Wii Fit. Perfect height for my knee.

Anyway, glad you are feeling a bit better. :)