Friday, November 13, 2009

Tristi's Friday Update

When you turn on the Wii Fit, one of the first options you see is to weigh yourself. It becomes nearly second nature to click the little button and see if you've lost anything, but there's a danger in this - you can go for a whole week eating chicken breasts and carrot sticks and lose one ounce, then eat a slice of pizza and go up two pounds. This makes you think, "I can never, ever cheat, even a tiny bit, or I'll stay fat forever." And, as we all know, this kind of thinking makes us head straight for the fridge. You can't tell someone they can never, ever again eat something they would like to eat ... it's a recipe (pardon the pun) for disaster.

I've decided to weigh on Fridays, before breakfast. If I watch my weight inch up and sneak down and inch up and sneak down by mere ounces all week long, I go stark raving bonkers. It's better for me if I see the results of an entire week's work at once.

I did pretty well this week. I exercised every day but Wednesday - Wednesday was a really odd day. It's like my world got turned upside down and a great many things didn't happen that should have. I'm still trying to increase my vegetable intake and decrease my sugar intake, but that will be my goal for this next week.

Now, I'm ready to make an announcement.

A couple of years ago, I went chocolate free. I went for nine whole months without any chocolate whatsoever ... and then this happened (click here for link). Easily, one of the worst days in my writing life. I headed for Baskin Robbins and got two scoops of the most chocolatey chocolate ice cream with chocolate chunks they had. From there, I sort of went back to my old chocolate consuming ways.

But, the announcement! I am now chocolate free again. One day so far. :) I did it once, I can do it again.

Today chocolate, tomorrow - the world!

6 comments:

Rebecca Talley said...

I think you're right to only weigh in once a week. Day to day can be confusing because weight can fluctuate so much so it's better to do it once a week under the same conditions.

Sandra said...

yay for chocolate free!!!

The first 2 months were the hardest for me when I chose to go sugar free. But now? any sugar is too much. I just made a recipe to try out for Josi's new book and the kids thought it was too sweet. I will make it again, but try my sugar free ways- xylitol, aguave nectar, stevia...

Tristi Pinkston said...

I hear you on how your body gets used to things - now that I've started watching my salt intake, everything tastes too salty to me, and salt even makes me cough now.

Sandra said...

Try sea salt

Jenn Adams said...

Good Luck Tristi!! You can do it!! :-D

Jenn Adams said...

Oh, yeah, I was going to comment on something else, too. There's one other danger to weighing too often. Sometimes your weight doesn't change or even goes down after you eat junk. It just does inexplicable things. So then you start thinking that maybe it doesn't matter as much as you thought.

For instance, when I fell off the wagon and didn't get back on for a long time, my weight didn't go up at all for quite a while. Finally, when my pants started not fitting, I realized that I was gaining fat and losing muscle - thereby being stagnant in my weight. Not. Good.