Now I'm normally not a soup person. I hate soup usually. But this soup is so GOOD!
Chicken Lime Soup (I heart lime)
- 4 corn tortillas, in strips, toasted
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled, boned and cut in bite-sized pieces (I bought boneless and just boiled it)
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped (I don't like celery, so I didn't use it)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 tablespoons white rice
- 3 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth (or about two cups, I think)
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- scallions, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste ( I omitted this, it wasn't needed)
- fresh lime wedges
Prepare the tortilla strips and set aside for garnish. Season the chicken and moisten with 2-3 tbsp chicken broth. (Yeah, I forgot to read the directions just before this step and poured all the chicken broth into the chicken. It got moistened all right.) Set aside.
Generously coat a 2-quart saucepan with a vegetable spray. Add celery, onion, and carrots and saute 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add white rice, chicken broth, garlic salt, cloves, thyme, and oregano. simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes.
When you are ready to serve the soup, add the lime juice, tomatoes, avocado, scallions, and reserved chicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve the soup with tortilla strips and fresh lime wedges.
Advance Preparation: The soup base may be prepared a day or two in advance. Add lime juice, tomatoes, avocado, and scallions before serving.
Hope you enjoy it!