Saturday, October 24, 2009

How Flattering ...

Once again, I have been seriously derailed - I have a gross little old man's disease. That's right - I have gout. Doesn't that just sound terrible?

Actually, it's a build-up of uric acid in the joint, and mine is located in my right big toe. I've been hobbling around like an injured drunk for a week. I went in to my chiropractor and he put the joint back in for me (it was seriously out of alignment) but then it just wasn't getting better. I'm glad to say that after 24 hours of serious doses of flax seed oil, I'm almost better, but it was been a wild week, I tell you what. Practically no walking, walking slowly when I do, and lots of nice purple swelling.

So ... no exercising.

I've about decided there are some Stay Fat Fairies at work in the universe, seeking to keep us as unhealthy as possible.

2 comments:

Marta O. Smith said...

Ouch! Sounds like you need an epsom salt soak. Not just the foot - all of you. And add bubbles. And a good book you are not obligated to edit. And lock the bathroom door.

I've never had gout myself, but I did some googling and apparently cherries help. One guy says he gets a can of tart cherries, eats them all and drinks the juice. Another person said dried cherries work. It couldn't hurt, and I don't think anyone could eat enough cherries to put on weight. Unless the cherries have been covered in chocolate. But let's not go there.

Drink water until you start to float away. And stay away from pork. My mom says eating pork makes her arthritis flare up, and gout is a type of arthritis.

Jenn Adams said...

Good luck Tristi! Don't let the Stay Fat Fairies win! I know how you feel, though. Everything seems to be working against us sometimes, doesn't it? Push on! I like Marta's suggestion about the bath. Maybe I'll take one too. Is it okay even if I don't have gout? ;o)