Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Am Not!!

I am not a wimp or a baby.

I had my surgery a month ago. The dr. told me I could start walking on the treadmill 2 weeks ago and running on it last week. But there were days that I could barely walk. In fact, some days I would look at my kids and say, "I feel like someone beat the bottom of my foot with a baseball bat."

This week my ankle and tendon up my shin hurt so bad I wanted to cry. In fact yesterday it hurt so bad I said that if I didn't have a follow up scheduled for today, I would make one.

And I still hadn't gotten on the treadmill. And I felt like a baby and a wimp. Or just lazy.

I saw the doctor today and told him about the beating with a bat feeling. He just said, "Hmmm." Then he looked at my foot and said "What's this? Is this tender?" Oh ya, it was tender.

"Well, you have a stitch trying to come out here. It is one from inside, it should have dissolved, but didn't and now it has abscessed. I'm going to have to pull it out, but you will feel better after." Then he gets out the tweezers.

Insert a sharp hissing intake of breath sound here. Or two or three.

Then he tells me that my tendons should not be so sore still. But since he had to split them to get to the screw, it could just be taking them longer to heal. He'll see me in two weeks and if they aren't better he'll do an x-ray.

But the good news today is this, I came home and walked 1 mile on the treadmill.

It took me 20 minutes at about 3.4 mph and my foot feels like fire now, but I did it.

4 comments:

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

Wow! What a wild ride you've taken. Hope you heal quickly. Don't over do it yet, though. If it really hurts, that is your body telling you to back off. Be careful and good luck!

Kimberly Job said...

From the sound of that, you are definitely not a wimp! Take care.

Kellie said...

You are not a wimp! I'm sorry you've had to go through that. Good luck now that the stitch is out. I hope it heals fast.

Marta O. Smith said...

Whoa, ouch! No wonder your foot hurt.