Saturday, January 23, 2010

Leptin Anyone?

So the no sugar thing has been going okay. I had a coke last night, but migraines and cramps will do that to you. I don't feel like I fell off the wagon, so that is good. But I think I need to step up and add something else to the lifestyle change--remember baby steps? I can't do the no this, no that, only eat this, drink 30 cups of tea, etc... diets. But My sister has been having some success lately with Leptin and I think I can do it. Has anyone here tried it?

There are 5 rules...
1. Don't eat after dinner.
2. Eat 3 meals a day allowing 5-6 hours between meals (No Snacking).
3. Reduce Carbohydrates (But do not cut them out you need a 50/50 ratio).
4. Don't eat huge meals.
5. Have a high protein breakfast.

Other than that it is mostly just sensible eating. With my school schedule I could do this. I am going to try it out this week. I'll let you know how it goes. But if anyone has tried it I would love to hear what you thought. And if you haven't but are interested in knowing more. Check this out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwdxTRAH_Gs

7 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

I think this sounds like it would work really well for some people, and not so well for others. Some people need to eat a little more frequently for their blood sugar problems, but those whose blood sugar stays a little more stable should do well with it. Let us know how it goes - I'm curious!

Yeah, cramps will do a great many things to a person. :)

Sabine Berlin said...

Since I am diabetic, I have worried about this, but they claim that if you get your leptin levels in order, you shouldn't need to snack because your liver will be working correctly and you shouldn't have highs or lows. I'll let you know.

Tristi Pinkston said...

I'm admitting to ignorance ... what is leptin?

Jenn Adams said...

Sounds interesting! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sabine Berlin said...

This is the easiest answer I could find. I don't get all the scientific things: Leptin is a hormone that is tied closely to regulating energy intake and expenditure, including appetite, metabolism and hunger. It is the single most important hormone when it comes to understanding why we feel hungry or full. When present in high levels, it signals to our brain that we’re full and can stop eating. When low, we feel hungry and crave food. It does this by stimulating receptors in our hypothalamus, the part of our brains which regulates the hormone system in our bodies. When leptin binds to receptors in this part of our brains, it stimulates the release of appetite-suppressing chemicals.
http://nutritionwonderland.com/2009/06/understanding-our-bodies-leptin-the-fullness-hormone/

I start tomorrow.

Tristi Pinkston said...

That is really interesting! Thanks for posting that. I'll look forward to hearing how it works for you.

Shanna Blythe said...

I'm really interested too. For a while I was trying to do the whole five to six meals a day, but it simply does not work with my schedule. I've always been told that eating more frequently, as long as the amounts are small--probably around 250-300 calories that it actually increases your metabolism.

Have no idea what it does for hunger though!