Friday, January 8, 2010

I did it!

Last night was my first time in a gym in about a year (and that last time was a first time in about 15 years). I decided to start off with the cycling because I love riding my bike and I didn't know where anything else was (besides the treadmills and I didn't want to look like a wimp walking on one of those nasty things). After almost half an hour on the bike I was feeling pretty good, other than the fact that my legs felt like jelly. I had gotten a bike near a wall that was one huge mirror. I tell ya, that was incentive right there. I could see the rolls as I held on to the bike and I was determined to get rid of them.

After that I spied the weight equipment. Now if there ever was a place designed to intimidate women who need to exercise, it is the weights area. There are mostly men there, and they are men who look like they've been taking steroids ( I think one I saw actually has been), and the little pictures on the equipment that is supposed to help you know what to do, doesn't actually help.

I stood by one and looked over the diagram, trying to figure it out, and finally decided just to sit down and try it. Even if I was doing it wrong, I was at least trying and getting some exercise, right? I hadn't been at it for 30 seconds when an old, but buff man came up to me kind of timidly and asked if he could help me. It was awesome. He showed me exactly what I needed to do. Then I showed him what I affectionately call, "my Relief Society Arms" and pointed out that those areas were what I wanted to firm up. He smiled and showed me 6 other machines and taught me how to use each one. He told me to do more repetitions with less weight so I could firm and lose inches rather than gain muscle and muscle weight.

It was awesome. It was honestly my first great experience with a Clevelander. Normally, people here are not friendly at all. It was really great to meet someone who could be kind to a stranger.

I look forward to going back today. I think I'm going to try out the pool. . , .

3 comments:

Kimberly Job said...

Congrats, sounds like your first day was successful. I totally understand what you mean about the weight machines. I used to go to the local fitness center here which was always full of fire fighters. It was very intimidating.

Marta O. Smith said...

Okay, more reps, less weight = lose inches. Now which machines did he point out?

Tristi Pinkston said...

Hooray for old, but buff, men! :)