Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Yep, it's January 1st, the day when everyone in the world makes goals to lose weight. And tomorrow is January 2nd, the day when everyone in the world decides that they can't do it, or that they'll start the following Monday, or that they'll just have this one last binge and then they'll be good forever and ever. I can't tell you how many times I've eaten a fast food meal, telling myself that it's the last one I'll ever have, and that I'd better enjoy it while I can. Sound familiar?

I've decided that this year, I'm going to set some goals I actually can do. I'm not going to tell myself that I'm going to lose fifty pounds by the end of the year, or that I'll never eat another Arby's sandwich again (those are a particular favorite of mine) or that I've had my last candy bar. Those are not realistic goals. When we shoot higher than we can reach, we're setting ourselves up for failure. However, we should reach a little, or else we'll never grow. It's finding the balance that is so important.

So, here are my goals for the first three months of the new year:

1. Eat breakfast. I enjoy having a little oatmeal and a scrambled egg together. It's a good balance on the Body-for-Life plan, and it's quick to make. I've learned the secret of making oatmeal so it's not glue, and this is something I can reasonably accomplish every morning.

2. When I do eat fast food, I'm going to get a side salad instead of fries.

3. I'm going to make more of an effort to eat before I leave home, so I'm not as tempted to eat fast food while I'm out.

After I've mastered these, I'll add three more. I think this is a doable start for me.

How about you? What doable goals have you set? Are they too hard to reach? Or are they so easy, you're not requiring yourself to learn and grow?

2 comments:

Kimberly Job said...

Okay, Tristi. You described me exactly. I couldn't start on January 1st after my parents invited me to Olive Garden, so I'm starting Monday.

My goals include working out three times a week and eating in moderation.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Sounds awesome, ladies!