Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ambushed by Funeral Potatoes

I went to my aunt's funeral last Saturday. (She had been declining in a rest home for quite a while, so we were happy to see her free of that.) I knew there would be a family luncheon afterwards, meaning tons of food and most of it fattening.

I had a plan. I was going to take small portion sizes, not go back for seconds and try to avoid the deserts. However, the small portion of funeral potatoes was so good, I just had to go back and get more. And while I was there, I noticed the peanut butter and chocolate cookies. Fortunately, the second helping of potatoes (from a different casserole dish) was undercooked and not as good as the first, so I didn't go back yet again.

My aunt's son insisted that they had been inundated by friends and neighbors bringing food to their house and my mother should take home a few of the leftovers, "few" meaning at least half of a sliced ham, a large bag of homemade dinner rolls, macaroni salad, half a sheet cake, and about a gallon of funeral potatoes. This all turned into Sunday dinner at my mom's house, because my sister and her family were still there and we all wanted to visit more.

The plan was just shot to pieces, and I gained back about 2 of the pounds I had lost and my food log was out the window. I am slowly climbing back on the wagon and hope to be back to last week's weight when I post my weight this Thursday.

3 comments:

Christine Thackeray said...

I LOVE funeral potatoes!!!! And believe that food consumed during funerals (or shortly after) does not count. Someone has to have a long talk with the scale.

Lu Ann Brobst Staheli said...

You're making me hungry again just reading this post--and I JUST ate!

Shauna said...

I also go up and down, just keep goin!