Thursday, August 20, 2009

DEPRESSING!

Okay, so I've been eating ALOT less (like hardly anything) but haven't stuck with my 90 minute thing because I've been so busy. The last three days I've skipped breakfast and like yesterday all I had was a snack wrap (grilled), a diet drink and for dinner a small steak, salad and 10 corn chips (I counted).

So guess what? I am the only person on the planet that gains weight when I don't eat. I swear. It is so frustrating. On Tuesday I'm dripping sweat in a boiling hot room sorting through my boys clothes and didn't have dinner. How can I gain weight???

Does anyone but me think that stinks? But I know this is true, that's why I'm supposed to eat a little every 90 minutes. When I did it, I was losing weight. So I start again. This time doing it right. I'm going to add sleep hours because that's another issue. Six hours a night is not cutting it.

Oh well, I'm going to start again. Little snacks, exercise which I've only dreamed of (two days ago I wore my swimsuit under my clothes all day and never made it to the pool) I can only improve... UGH.

4 comments:

Shauna said...

Your body won't release fat stores if you lower nutrition content below what it needs. It will slow your metabolism to compensate & store every spare bit as fat. If you continue lowering your nutrition levels, it will continue lowering that set point, til you can survive off nothing and store fat on anything. The body will only release it's fat stores if it knows there is plenty of food (not just calorically high food, but nutritionally high food) The best way to lose weight is have an adequate, nutritionally balanced diet. Too little and you sabotage yourself and keep yourself from losing weight.

Shauna said...

I think it's called starvation mode? something like that? It happens to everyone but I think it varies from person to person how hard it is to deal with. I can totally relate to wearing swimsuit all day and never having time to actually get in.. isn't it depressing. =P

I hope sleep counts if it's interrupted in the middle. I notice right now I'm not getting TO bed on time but if you count my nap =D I'm getting enough sleep.

Tristi Pinkston said...

It's not just you - I gain when I don't eat - have you seen me lately? :) I'm averaging one real meal per day.

Sandra said...

Ladies! You HAVE to eat to lose. Really. When I started eating 3 good meals a day and 2 snacks in between, I started losing. But the snacks have to be healthy. I eat almonds or an orange, or these, my favorites:
https://www.brothersallnatural.com/view/category_FRUITCRISPS.htm

I love them because they are healthy, filling, hardly any calories, sweet, and they feel like you are eating an individual bag of chips.

But Shauna is right. As long as you are telling your body that you are starving it, it will hold on to everything it can. It will reduce your set point and it will become more efficient at using what you do put into it so that you will gain no matter how little you eat. Because it thinks it is starving and doesn't want to. Because it does not know when it will eat again. Make a point of scheduling regular meal times. Do it.

If you were sick and had to take medication at a certain time in order to be well, you would do it. Make getting healthy as big a priority in your life, because it is a matter of life and death and you get to choose whether you live or you die.

Now if I could just convince myself that the same holds true for exercise, I'd be in business.