Saturday, August 22, 2009

Last week on "pause"

So at the beginning of the week I realized how rough this week would be and just hoped that I could stay at the same spot instead of going backwards. It was pretty stressful and my family won't be back until late Sunday, but I basically was able to meet my goal of staying in the same spot. (weigh in this morning 272) I had some fluctuation in weight throughout the week. I have a lot of that usually so I don't watch the scale, but I really didn't want to slide backwards with not being able to go out to exercise so I kept a close eye on it.

I have pinpointed one of my issues that I am going to need to deal with. I have a very hard time exercising unless I leave the house specifically to exercise. When I am at home there is so much work for me to do that I just can't make myself take the time to exercise there. And of course I justify that I'm doing so much physical work with the kitchen and bathroom remodel that I at least am expending SOME calories, but it just isn't the same as focused exercise.

And on top of it, I really dislike the exercise videos I have. I need to find a workout video that is designed for VERY overweight, unbalanced, unflexible, uncoordinated people. But it has to be fun to do. Picky, I know. Anyone have one of those to recommend?

Well, I count this last week as progress, even though I didn't overall lose any weight. The last time I stopped exercise for a week, I gained some weight back. Not fun.

This week was pretty stressful with half of my family being gone. My husband lost his wallet so I had to find a way to get him money and get all of the cards inside cancelled. I worried about my father inlaw-he is fine now. I didn't have use of a vehicle. My husband had to replace all four tires on our car because they were in bad shape. And now I am trying to figure out a way to get myself and my son to church on Sunday. I have had to miss church more than usual lately, which is not good for the kids in Primary (I am chorister) to not have continuity of who is there every Sunday.

To top it all off, I am a worrier. A worrier with a very active imagination. Maybe I'm a bit of a control freak, too. With two of the kids with their Dad at Grandma and Grandpa's I had visions of all kinds of farm-related accidents and horrible things that could happen. Yet when I'm there with them I don't worry about that, hence the control freak aspect.

But even though it was stressful and I was doing a lot of work, I got to have some fun with Bryce. I enjoyed the one on one time that we don't usually have. We played board games and video games together, went grocery shopping and I learned a lot about the kind of food he likes. He is big on fruit. We had watermelon and peaches and bananas and cabbage and grape juice that he picked out for us. The 6 month old baby I watch loved the watermelon and ate a full piece by herself. And even the little four year old I watch was happier, she usually isn't very affectionate with Bryce, treats him like she would a brother that gets on her nerves, and gave Bryce a big hug when she left on Friday. Bryce and I got to go on a playdate and he had a lot of fun playing with the kids while I got to talk to friends, and we got a lot of snuggling time in.

Now on to next week! I just hope I can get back into the swing of things and have a good week of exercise!

5 comments:

Jenn Adams said...

Shauna,

It sounds like you had a lot on your plate this week! Kudos on staying the same. That's sometimes a feat in itself.

I was on pause this week too. I know I said I was gonna hit it hard, but I had forgotten I had Ed. Week to go to. That pretty much sucked up all my time. But I did do a lot of walking around campus. And, I do mean a LOT. :o) So that counts for something, I think.

Anyway, good luck getting back on track and figuring out how to get those workouts in.

Shauna said...

=D Thanks Jenn!

Lu Ann Brobst Staheli said...

I like Richard Simmon's Sweatin' to the Oldies because they are easy exercises that get you moving, and he doesn't have all skinny women showing us how to do the routines.

Sandra said...

I like Richard Simmons' tonin' Uptown and tonin' downtown.

Tristi Pinkston said...

I really like the Richard Simmons routines, too. He himself is pretty annoying - my daughter even asked me if that was a man or a woman - but I like how he does take us larger persons into account and has the dancers in the background in all shapes and sizes. It's easy to get into the groove when you see someone on the screen who is larger than you, and they're bustin' a move, so you know you can, too.

Fruit is awesome for weight loss - esp. watermelon.