Friday, August 21, 2009

Rob's Update

Not much to report, other than my consuming a small plate of cheese fries and a frosty mug of root beer. But, that was after four hours of standing at an outdoor concert whereat I sweated profusely. Granted, that still probably doesn't offset the cheese fries, but any diet that doesn't let me eat the occassional cheese fry isn't worth it.

Also, here's something that I recently discovered: did you know that the pastrami burger is a uniquely Utahn phenomenon? There was an entire article in the New York Times last month about those crazy Utahns and their crazy burgers. And last night I saw that Gourmet Magazine called the pastrami burger "an outrageous concept". Having grown up in Salt Lake, I assumed everyone had pastrami burgers, but apparently not. The moral of the story: this is the promised land.

(This is not to say that I've eaten a pastrami burger recently. But I may at some point, just to show patriotism to my state.)

Also, my wife last night proposed that she and I turn this dieting into an actual competition wherein there are prizes for the winner. I declined, because she's OBVIOUSLY going to win. She doesn't blog about cheese fries and pastrami.

5 comments:

Marta O. Smith said...

What's a pastrami burger? Maybe it will someday be exported from Utah to the rest of the world, like fry sauce.

RobisonWells said...

Marta, this is the pastrami burger. I warn you: looking at a picture of it may make you hyperventilate with delight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/dining/29united.html

Tristi Pinkston said...

I've never had the Crown Burger variety, but I do enjoy the pastrami burger at Purple Turtle.

Shauna said...

my mouth is watering. I should not have clicked the link. it's probably good I don't live near anywhere that advertises a pastrami burger or I would go try one!

Shanna Blythe said...

My husband had this conference that he hosted at his work--one person actually had BROUGHT the Times article with him so he could find the place at eat at it. We couldn't believe it! We were very surprised to hear that Crown Burger was in the New York Times.

So my hubby took all the conference attendees to Crown Burger one evening--he got a free meal out of it too!

Just for the record? I do NOT LIKE pastrami!