Thursday, August 13, 2009

Anyone else out there an emotional eater?

Hey guys! I have loved reading about your stories and situations. This is fun isn't it and thanks for the kudos and support. My goal weight is actually somewhere between 140 and 150. I'm 5'8" and I feel this is reasonable, considering I weighed 125 when I got married! lol

So this morning, I dragged myself out of bed, forced myself to put on workout clothes and did my half hour of Latin dancing. I feel dead today and it took a mountain of effort to do it but I knew if I didn't, I'd feel guilty all day. which would make me eat to feel better, which in turn would make be feel guilty again and then I'd feel even worse. I hate that cycle so I went to work.

Since I last weighed myself (and I know scales cannot be relied upon as muscle weighs more then fat) and I have GAINED two pounds. Oh the horror! It did depress me and I was tempted to get out the ice cream I have for my son's birthday, but I refrained. I mean, the weight gain could be muscle, couldn't it? I couldn't possibly be the Mexican food we went out for last night or the Chinese food we had on family night or any of the other crap I eat that makes me happy!

This is my problem. I'm an emotional eater and I don't know how to change that. Any ideas?

6 comments:

Shauna said...

I am also an emotional eater. It's hard to get it under control, but it's doable. I have to recognize and work through my feelings because I don't have the willpower to just say no every time I see it starting again. Marla Cilley has a book called Body Clutter that has some good ways of dealing with emotional eating. I don't subscribe to all of the ideas but I find myself using a lot of them to deal with the emotions instead of ending up eating.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Melissa,

I'm an emotional eater. I'm doing better with it now than I have in the past, but there are times when it's totally out of control, and it all revolves around my stress level. I started to eat emotionally when I was about ten - there were a lot of pressures and I turned to food in order to make myself feel special (treating myself, or rewarding myself, or whathaveyou) at times when I didn't feel like I was good enough. Now, whenever those tendencies pop back up, I can look at my life and see that my self esteem needs a boost, so I can do something that really truly makes me feel better about myself, aside from food. This isn't to say I'm all better. It is a struggle and one that probably will continue throughout my life, but at least now I'm recognizing why. Knowing why is a huge step in knowing how to knock it off. You are definitely not alone.

Karlene said...

Me too. I totally eat when I'm stressed out.

RobisonWells said...

I'm not an emotional eater, but I am an emotional shopper. If I'm stressed, I like to spend money. And, since I'm a guy and don't like to actually go into stores, my emotional shopping generally translates into fast food.

(Of course, my current unemployment has curtailed this quite a bit.)

Anonymous said...

I am too but alas, I have no solutions. If you find some, let me know!

Christine Thackeray said...

I think it's not what you eat so much as the amount. If the servings are reasonable, you can have what you want. Was it Kellie that talked about not depriving yourself? I find calorie-sharing with my kids to make everyone happy when I'm craving a DQ blizzard. They have three bites, I have one and life's good- not guilt and less tummy.