Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bloggin' Out Day One

I'm no stranger to off and on exercise. Usually when I see the scale tipping up I break out my fantastic exercise DVDs for a week or two and I'm back to eating whatever I want and when I want it. I've taken this for granted, apparently. With age, children, stress, and a visit to the best place on earth (which is any place with Blue Bell Ice Cream and fried okra), I gained a little too much and have had very little time to take it off.

This weight gain came at an interesting time. Right as I was gaining all those lovely Chocolate Covered Strawberries Ice Cream, Southern Blackberry Cobbler Ice Cream, and Southern Hospitality Ice Cream (which is as heavenly as southern hospitality can be), my husband was at Fort Sam Houston, running a few miles a day, doing forty to sixty sit-ups and push-ups, and roughing it with M.R.E.s. Poor guy.

So now that we are back home and far, far away from the Land of Goodness with fried okra and Blue Bell Ice Cream, I must lose the weight which so rudely came upon me without the smallest of invitations.

My favorite method of weight loss is to still eat what I want, but not whenever I want it. I refuse myself junk food or heavy foods after 9 PM. I know most people say not after 6PM, but I don't have that kind of will power. The thought of an Oreo can overcome me at anytime. This last week I've allowed myself a bowl of cereal before bed and have tried to stick to that.

As for exercise, I'd like to say that playing with my kids is enough, but it isn't. I've had to break out my Pilates videos. Also, now that my husband has to keep up with his working out at Fort Sam Houston, I get to join him in doing sit-ups and push-ups every night. However, his memory is quite typical of any male and he doesn't remember much that isn't duct taped to his head, so I have to remind him to work out. Last night, I was too tired.

So that's me. I'll load a full body shot soon, when I get one taken:) My current weight is 137 and according my height and body charts I should be between 115 and 120. I have always been fine with 125, but would like to actually reach 120. Those last five pounds never want to come off, even when I was exercising every day after my first was born. So goal is to lose 17 lbs. and then see how I feel.

6 comments:

Josi said...

You sound so much like me with the past vs. present eating habits and not being able to be too strict, I find deprivation drives me to Oreos quicker than just about anything else. Good luck.

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

Gads, you sound so much like me. This blog idea was fantastic. It's easy to think your alone in these feelings of hunger and guilt. Nice to know you're out there too! lol

Anonymous said...

That's cool that you and your husband can do the workout (well, part of) together. My hubby loves early mornings and I'm not much for mornings...

Kellie said...

Thanks, Melissa! I know I really needed something like this to help me see what exactly I am doing and not doing to lose the weight (and guilt:)and be more healthy. Thanks for reading my post!

Tristi Pinkston said...

Welcome aboard, Kellie! Just remember, those charts aren't always entirely accurate ... if you hit a weight and you feel really good there, doesn't matter what the chart says!

Christine Thackeray said...

Kellie, you're post has resonated with a lot of people. I'm with you about the not too strict stuff. Good luck.